Notes from the Directors
To: New Vision Parents/Guardians
From: NVCS Board of Directors
Date: January 20, 2019
Subject: Open 2019-20 Board of Director Positions
This is a very exciting time in the history of New Vision Charter School. Our new building is under construction, we are continuing to grow and we’ve just received another recognition as a 2018 School of Distinction. We want to continue our success for years to come and we need your help to further this trend.
As a charter school, NVCS is governed by our parents and community. Each year the board opens 2 new positions that are ending their terms. This is your opportunity to be part of the decision-making process for New Vision and its future. As a member of the Board of Directors, your life and business experience play an important role, and your opinion and contributions are highly valued. NVCS enjoys an increasingly diverse student population and we hope to have a board that reflects that same growing diversity. We invite you to consider running for a position on the Board.
There are two (2) positions opening up in May 2019. The process is relatively simple, apply for a position and participate in the election process in April. You may also want to attend the orientation session at the March 25 th Board meeting at 5:30 pm to ask questions and learn more about what is involved in serving on the New Vision Board of Directors.
What does serving on the Board entail?
The Board has control and general management of the affairs, property and business of NVCS. As such, you would work hand-in-hand with school administration and six (6) other board members on tasks such as:
- Establish and evaluate our academic and school growth strategies
- Maintain a financially stable operation and ensure our expenses support our mission and vision
- Work with TSD school board, the Boys & Girls Club and other agencies on matters that pertain to NVCS
- Establish school policies that govern the manner in which we operate as an organization
- Collaborate with our school Principal in establishing standards and best-in-class strategies for continued improvement as a top-tier charter school.
What is expected of a board member?
- Attend and actively participate in regularly scheduled, monthly Board meetings. (3-4 hours/month)
- Prepare for the meetings beforehand by reviewing the agenda and Board packet. (1-2 hours/month)
- Serve as liaison to one of our standing committees (School Accountability/SAC, Finance, Public Relations, Committee of 2 (2-3 hours/month)
- Participate in additional meetings/discussions with external agencies as required (1-2 hours/month)
- Attend all-day strategy/goal setting meeting(s) annually (6-8 hours per meeting)
- Commit to a three-year term
How to apply.
- Complete and submit the following items by the application deadline date of April 5 th
- Review and agree to uphold the board norms (published here)
- Complete the online New Vision Board Questionnaire (link here).
What happens next? Participate in Town Hall Meeting on April 11th in the evening at NVCS.
Additional important dates. Voting opens April 13th and closes April 18th.
There are many important and exciting opportunities the NVCS Board will be tackling over the next few months and years. If you are willing to donate your time for the benefit of quality education, are an effective communicator and a good listener, consider donating your talents and help make New Vision Charter School the best school we can be!